The Temple of Translation of Relics of the Saint Father Nicholas – Stari Banovci

The Temple of Translation of Relics of the Saint Father Nicholas – Stari Banovci

The Temple of Translation of Relics of the Saint Father Nicholas – Stari Banovci

 Banovci probably had a church in the 16th century, but the first one we have written records about dates from 1726. It was located on the Danube, about a hundred meters downstream from today’s church, but as the Danube was booming and pushing the settlement more and more, this church became threatened by the Danube attack. The Danube took her altar in 1895. When the rest of the church collapsed in 1897, the inventory was transferred to a new church. The construction of the Temple of Translation of Relics of the Saint Father Nicholas began on June 28, 1777 and lasted for eight years. It is assumed that the church was built by the German builders. The people from Banovci raised a church of imposing dimensions in the Byzantine style for which today the elderly, with great pride, say that it is the third largest temple in Srem.